MEDIA VS ATHLETES

By: Tanner Morris

         I started this term by introducing you guys to my passion for sports and graphic design and throughout this term I’ve been able to dive deeper. Guided by the philosophies of Baudrillard, I studied how depictions or simulacrums of athletes are portrayed by the media. Everyone loves to have a poster of their favorite athlete and every athlete loves to be on a poster, but what is that poster doing to the athletes persona. I stated in the beginning of the term that these dramatized  depictions might inadvertently diminish the other qualities and abilities these human beings have. As with Lebron James new slogan “More Than an Athlete” these players want to be recognized for more than just an entertainment source. 



           My most recent work correlates best with the media’s affect on athletes persona. With the current movement for black lives matter, many black athletes are using their platform to discuss systematic issues within America as they should. Unfortunately some people feel threatened by this action and feel the need dismiss their opinions. Fox News host, Lauren Ingraham did just that on national tv stating political advice should not be taken from “someone who gets paid $100 million a year to bounce a ball” and that he should just, “shut up and dribble”. I believe this perfectly highlights the motif of those in power of the media. These people want athletes to remain as human capital rather than a voice of change.



      The piece above was my first piece in which I tried to depict the side of athletes you don’t see through the media. It’s not common knowledge that Michael Jordan studied and majored in cultural geography. People don’t know that even after his great success in the NBA he went back to college to get his degree. With this piece I highlighted this through imposing an image of him in his studies over what everyone knows him for. I also mirrored what people should know about him under what people first think of when they hear his name. I hope this piece can make people more aware that there’s more that lies beneath the “hyperrealness” the media and society in general creates.



       
      This last piece I’ll talk about has to do with athletes response to the media. Marshawn Lynch is the staple for not putting up with the media. In every post game interview he always has one go-to response: “I’m just here so I don’t get fined”. He refuses to give the media what they want because as he states, “their all phonies”. I believe this response is a powerful one for an athlete to have because he knows no matter what he says people will try to bend it to express their own opinions.

Comments

Popular Posts