Inside Out Mind of Tim Sullivan

  Tim's work shows no creative boundary and is not limited by the typical trends and concepts set by other artists. What makes his process unique is that he takes a concept and turns it inside out which I find to be really interesting as intended. He likes getting his hands dirty with the actual real life objects of his composition, avoiding any type interference from computer editing. 



`    This process is something I can better understand and have an appreciation for after working with film in our photo class. There's a different type of attachment you get with your physical piece opposed to what I normally do, taking digital photos, editing them and then never looking at them in any other way but through a screen. His photos remind me of Gregory Crewdsons for this fact that he pays all of his attention to the set up so that when the picture is taken it marks the compositions completion. 


    At the same time though, with all this attention to preparation he never seems to force anything with his art and lets the process flow organically. He simply creates what he thinks would be interesting in almost a subconscious manner. This way of going about it I think is something every artist should be more open to as it helps rid that lingering expectation of a certain perfect finish line for your piece. 

Comments

  1. I thought about his process as well. He has many ideas that avoid the mainstream and just produces what he wants. Its a very observational process, he doesn't seem to push anything into place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoy digital work because i can organize it easily and make it decent. I always mess up real life hand-made work. But listening to all the artist talks and doing work in Lawrence definitely changed my view, I am so excited to take the film photography class and 16mm film class next year!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts