Lyle Rexer Reflection


   


     Off the bat Lyle Rexer's knowledge and interest of bad photos of bad subjects makes me think of Duchamps interest in ready-mades. Both are intrigued by the fact that the art they make/study is not intended to be liked or disliked or pass on a particular agenda which in return makes it more universally accepted and understood for what it is. The style and what it stands for hasn't won me over yet but I can appreciate the conscious efforts behind it. In relation to conscious efforts I like how he talked about trying to analyze the photographers intentions; In doing so the viewer looks beyond surface level and makes a deeper attempt to connect with what the photo is trying to portray. 




    Some of the photos though I thought were too much of a reach including the objects in fences collection. These types of photos do express interesting underlying messages about unpredictable scenarios and subject matter but personally it feels more like a documentation of an occurrence rather than an artistic expression of the occurrence. When I look at art I want to be initially wowed by the visual qualities that came from an artists creative efforts. I respect vernacular photography for the fact that its more of a candid real-life representation of something that typically goes unnoticed. I kind of like the idea of representing the unnoticed in more of a emphatic manner though. Giving it a greater spotlight it typically doesn't have, similar to the large photo print of the two swans he touched on where there is more of a conscious decision on the composition and display. 

    

    Overall, I can see how many may be insulted/threatened by these works because I'm partially in that boat but I think what it comes down to is that it needs to be accepted and appreciated for what it is and what it's conveying; these works aren't trying to be a great photo of a great subject so it shouldn't be judged as such. So a big thanks to Lyle for his work in highlighting what I would say is most definitely still art just a different genre.

Comments

  1. I think many areas are so polarized today. There is no happy medium or even just a medium. I also saw 'things stuck in fences' as documenting a short event as opposed to a object of aesthetic as Rexer might say.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts