The author never dies

    I find myself agreeing to a certain degree with Barthes throughout this section. I understand what he’s getting at when he states that there is a before and after in the process of creating as an author but I don’t believe the identity of the author diminishes. Rather, I believe the authors identity lives on infinitely more abstractly as it transfers to the audience in the form of their thoughts and ideas. To me ones ideas are more signifying to ones identity than say their name. I believe the authors main intentions in most cases is to pass on their creative outlook rather than their self image.

      The reason I believe he regards the ideas of any author as unoriginal is because this process and transferring of ideas from person to person seemingly has no beginning. I believe though that originality derives from the molding of another’s ideas into your own by way the of attaching your unique perspectives.

    Slowly but surely as we share each other’s origin or originality through “pre-existing ideas” we shape and elevate our understanding of each other as a collective. 


    This concept goes hand in hand with my project to share someone’s life and the different factors that made them into who they are. As the creator of the film I could care less about my self image being displayed to the audience as I want my identity to live on through the creative choices I make to share another’s. 

     So far I’ve filmed some b-roll on campus, mainly in Steitz and at the Banta Bowl to highlight the contrasting locations Prince spends most of his time. I’ve also gathered a list of audio that I think will set the right emotions for the viewer.

Comments

  1. This idea of authors living among the content they contributed to or collaged instead of having no identity at all is very important interpretation to have. Its interesting that there is this collective that seems to be little pieces of every 'author' ever.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts